Sunday

Rhyme Find

When I can find a quiet moment I try to follow a daily office called Common Prayer. I find it very good and the language spot on. Last night I was reading through a section of the evening prayer for Saturdays and I came across an odd rhyme scheme. The passage is called A Song of the Light and is only ten lines long. It's divided into three stanzas and in the first the it's the first and last line that rhyme. Then the second line of the first stanza rhymes with the first line of the second stanza. The last two lines of the second stanza rhyme. The last stanza has four lines which rhyme on the first and second line and the third and fourth. It was the last stanza that actually picked out the rhyme for me. I've probably read this dozens of times recently and it suddenly struck me, hey there's a rhyme here. Check it out:

Hail, gladdening Light, of his pure glory poured,
Who is the immortal, Father, heavenly, blest,
Holiest of holies, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Now we are come to the Sun's hour of rest,
The lights of evening round us shine;
We hymn the Father, Son and Holy Spirit divine.

Worthy are you at all times to be sung
With undefiled tongue,
Son of our God, giver of life, alone;
Therefore in all the world your glories, Lord, they own.

Have you ever found hidden rhymes ? let me know.

Peace Dave.

No comments: