Thursday

Excellent Service

Mooching around as I often do I came across a neat little poem finder in a website run by the Poetry Foundation, a US society I think. I was so impressed by this service that I have added a link to it on my site. I used it to find a poem that I could only remember the first line of, although there are several other ways to hunt a poem down. It turns out that it was a Longfellow poem called The Arrow and the Song; I was able to print it off there and then. I could also have-mailed it to my friends. Talking of e-mail I have now managed to syndicate my blog as a news feed and offer it as an e-mail update. I hope this makes it easier to receive and get out to the world. Here's the poem that I looked for and have been looking for these last two years or so.

Peace Dave
The Arrow and the Song
by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.
I breathed a song into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For who has sight so keen and strong,
That it can follow the flight of song?
Long, long afterward, in an oak
I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end,
I found again in the heart of a friend

No comments: