Friday

Priestly Issue

Our church is fast approaching interregnum, that is to say that the priest that has led,guided and counselled us for fourteen years is moving on. By December 31st he will be gone. As you may expect people are starting to gather parting gifts to give him when he goes. I would like to think that I could write a poem for him to take with him that might express some of the times that we spent together. As I have stated before I'm not a plan ahead type poet and seldom write to order. Having said that I did manage it for Jane our reader when she left. Jane really stuck a few chords, in fact she was a bit of a string quartet, but that's good. Always being in your comfort zone is not a really good thing. One of the things I like about the type of Christian that knocks on your door is the sense of challenge they present. How much do they embarrass me and can I stand up to their questioning and out smart them in biblical knowledge. The Sudanese have an almost encyclopedic knowledge of the bible and I would love to see one go head to head on my door step.
That's another issue and I have digressed. The bottom line is can I write a poem to order and if so what form should it take. These are fairly big issues for me as I don't usually address them prior to beginning a poem. I would like to present our priest with a poem, one that he would enjoy receiving - he's not really an affictionardo. A priestly issue, can I do it?

Peace Dave.

No comments: