Sunday

Evensong Thinking

Evensong for those of you who don't know is the traditional Church of England Sunday evening service and can be found in the book of common prayer. It was devised in the sixteen hundreds by a leading cleric of the time. It's a service written in a language of great beauty but sadly is often lost to very boring services that do not do the words justice. I can count on one hand the number of evensong services that I have not detested.
In case you're wondering why I attended services I did not like it is because I often have to work on a Sunday and evening services are all I can make on these days. I have recently discovered a church that hosts a very different style of service that has a feel which is far from boring. The liturgy is still Church of England, Common Worship this time though. The difference for me is really in the delivery and the emphasis on praise in an openly joyful way. I actually feel good about this worship. Tonight I attended this service and I am really grateful for the talents that God gives people.
This stirs in me the question of presentation and the ever nearing Honeypot day care centre reading. I want my listeners to feel good when I've finished and even happy. If you attend church services how do you feel when the service ends and what effect does it have on you ?

Peace Dave

No comments: