Monday

Kids Program

Playing on the television just now was a kids cartoon program. One of the central characters was a writer of poetry and had been selected to write for his school. He was assigned to work with another child that was very organised and applied his strict regimentation to the poet child. There was a strong play about creativity verses production target. I won't tell you how it worked out because that's not the point of this. I struggle with regimentation and being organised with my poetry. I cannot produce poetry on demand and find that there are an ever increasing set of distractions that interfere. How do you cope?
The reason I attend a poetry group is to have a reason to write regularly; morally I am accountable to the group so I blackmail myself a bit. Do you write simply when you want or do you need your creative juices stirring in some way. What sets you off ? how do you start? where do your ideas come from? Does being organised work for you ? do you trade off creativity against being organised or does one feed the other? It amazes me that I spontaneously create poetry. It usually needs a lot of editing, but the original idea, the first few lines are usually very spontaneous. It bothers me a bit that being organised may eat into this creativity and kill the very thing I want most to make use of. How about you.

No comments: