Friday

Do You Communicate

I was walking my dog today and while he, Smudge, was sniffing about my thoughts turned to communication in poetry. I have spent a while recently soaking up information on textual graphic representation. Sounds impressive but really it's just about how you layout the things you want people to read so that they will definitely read them and you get what you want out of them. It's about use of font, space and association. This line of study is mainly aimed at adverts and newsletters but it strikes me that the very way a poem is laid out on paper can communicate to the reader. Some poems I realize are shaped to represent an image but I am referring to far more subtle manipulation and also the placing of words to generate interest in much the same way as a newspaper headline. What I am literally suggesting is using a poem itself to advertise itself to the reader. Naturally a great deal of thought would need to go into this and no small measure of planning. Is this an original thought or has some one already done this?
I have not yet thought how to apply this idea to an actual poem, maybe I need to walk the dog again.

Peace Dave.

No comments: