Tuesday

Honeypot Dilemma

On the 27th of this month I will have my second ever public reading of my poems at the Honeypot day care centre. If you don't remember this subject check this link (Honeypot). It's not the Hollywood Rose Bowl or the Albert Hall but that still doesn't mean that I'm comfortable with it. I am the entertainment and it will lie with me to fill the afternoon for them. I am beginning to select the poems that I will take with me and I find it interesting to see the psychological process behind this. Consciously I am picking poems that I feel will be popular rather than poems that I necessarily feel are my best. Being a member of a poetry group has taught me that what I may think is a good poem others would be dissatisfied with and vice versa.
I have never tried to write what I think people will want to read but what I feel I like as poems. I set demanding standards of myself, I don't like badly written poetry so I try not to create it. I do sometimes try to mimic the style of others, I once wrote in the style of Craig Raine, but usually I remain individual. If something you write pleases you that's fine but believe me if it pleases others that's really gratifying. Here's the nub of the issue, it would be all too easy to read a load of poems, pleasing myself and experience other people's politeness. Remember, I am the entertainment and so I am there to please them first. This is my dilemma and I really need to resolve it soon or I will simply stand up and make a fool of myself on Monday. I don't want that.

Peace Dave.

No comments: