Friday

World AIDS Day


I support Oxfam by giving them several pounds a month because I believe in their work.It's not much but it is something. By return they send me news and information about their work. If you don't know about Oxfam check out their website they do good things. Last week they sent me a red bow for World Aids Day, which is today.
The idea is that you wear it to show support for the event and help highlight the day so that more people become aware of AIDS generally. With the ribbon came a little book with case studies of real people and real situations. I decided to wear the ribbon at work today pinned to my overalls. Some people asked me about it and that did give me the opportunity to tell them that today was World AIDS Day but mainly I found that the ribbon had a greater effect on me. Every time I looked down it was in my vision and being red stood out prominently against my dark overalls. Having a constant reminder kept the stories in the booklet fresh in my mind and me thinking about the plight of so many unfortunate people. Much of the time like many I unconsciously accept things and carry on with my life. I'm busy and there are many demands placed on me daily, this is not an acceptable excuse. I cannot be a missionary or voluntary worker but that also does not free me from not doing what I can. As I was forced to remember today some people have things forced on them that I can barely imagine. If you don't do anything for a charity, think about it and just do what you can.

Peace Dave

No comments: