Tuesday

My Parents



I always smirk when I read the great poem by Philip Larkin - This be the Verse, the opening line which I will not repeat here is a sweeping truth. However the individualism that parenting can impart is not always a bad thing. I am who I am because of who they are. My daughter often comments that I am becoming more like my Dad, great I say I like my Dad.


Christmas is a time for relatives and travel. For months we subsist on phone calls and flying visits but at this time of year we can ease back and spend real time with people who know us as well as we do. It's either Heaven or Purgatory. For me today is heaven, the pressure is off all the jobs are done and I am chilling with my parents - please see the pictures. There are no great expectations just relaxation and fun. We eat, drink and play games - all in the safety of knowing that everyone knows everyone else intimately. We laugh at the slightest excuse and all pretensions to formality dissolve as the house door opens. There is no rush and no real need for politeness, although courtesy flows as easily as the laughter.


Time passes as it should, without being seen heard or really noticed. I imagine that if ever I should get to heaven that it would feel like this, warm, easy and usual - like home.




Peace Dave.

No comments: