Friday

simple install

A bit more life, it's what holidays are about. This is core business, it affects my computer. For ages we have had the computer and all it's associated stuff locked up in a large cabinet. It served a purpose keeping Little hands far away from damaging sensitive equipment. Recently I learned how out of date that thinking was when my daughter asked me how to download an animation about combustion engines for her interactive slide show on how vehicle engines have evolved. This was homework for a thirteen year old.
We have in the last few weeks and also through giving at Christmas received several goodies for our (my) computer. Included in this are a wireless mouse and keyboard, printer scanner and flat screen monitor. So may task today was remove the cupboard, disconnect the computer and exchange the old parts for new ones. This involved a shelf and and making a short trolley/shelf unit for the main computer parts. The shelf and trolley took about three hours to make and were a pleasure to create. I love to create it's just the engineer in me. Flat bits of wood or steel become things, anything whatever is needed, that's really the joy of it. Especially if I'm doing it for someone else - but that's another story.
It's the next bit that gets to me. I installed a printer, scanner, mouse, keyboard, modem and router in less than two hours. I remember life before Windows, before plug and play. I remember a time when today's task would literally have taken all day. Software has really improved. The question for me here is have we improved, have I improved. Another whole year has passed and am I any better for it, did it improve my software. Can I integrate better, can I do more tasks, can I do what I do better. Am I any closer to the God I love, do I display that to the people I meet and to the people I love? Odd how doing things makes you think.

Peace Dave

No comments: